How ‘Ertugrul’ Fed The Hearts Of Muslims Hungry For Representation

 Diliris Ertugrul, Ertugrul Gazi, Resurrection: Ertugrul


If you haven’t been violating lockdown laws and are privileged enough to have a home, chances are that you come across these words a few times everyday - depending on just how many hours you spend on social media. Personally, I’m nearing a whole twenty-four - but that’s a story for another day.

The Turkish show Ertugrul is based in 13th century Anatolia and tells the story prior to the establishment of the Ottoman Empire. It illustrates the struggle of Ertugrul Gazi, father of the empire's founder, Osman. It is often called the Turkish Game of Thrones, and for good reason - you’ll find everything except dragons and sex: the castles, the sceneries, the clothes, the sword-clashing, the thrill, hell, even a starting score just as exhilarating. I often see my fifty-something parents bobbing their heads to the title theme just as I would for GOT - and it is cute as hell.

The show has taken Pakistan by a storm, breaking multiple YouTube records since its Urdu translation was released, and is now becoming the go-to Muslim household show to watch in India as well. It took me a hot minute to bring my snobby Game Of Thrones nose to the ground and watch the show, but I caved, and man, oh man.